Friday, June 1, 2012

Injury Update--Extensor Tendonitis

*Make sure you read my Final Injury Update

I realized that what I've been calling metatarsal tendonitis is incorrect.  It's actually called extensor tendonitis, named after the muscles attached to the tendons, not the bones.  The diagrams below show the basic structure of the muscles, tendons, and bones affected by extensor tendonitis.


*images provided by http://docpods.com/extensor-tendonitis-tendinopathy

To summarize my injury; I experienced pain in the top of my foot between my 1st and 2nd toes, between my 2nd and 3rd toes, and between my 3rd and 4th toes as a result of transitioning to barefoot running too quickly.  This was an inflammation of the extensor hallucis longus tendon and the extensor digitorum longus tendon.  The inflammation was likely caused by the increased strain placed on my calf muscles from barefoot running.  As my calf muscles tightened it made it more difficult for the extensor muscles to raise the toes upward toward the knee.  I saw a podiatrist and had an x-ray to rule out the possibility of a stress fracture in any of the metatarsal bones in my foot.  For anyone experiencing "top of foot pain" I would recommend an x-ray or MRI as a first step rather than self-diagnosing tendonitis over a stress fracture.  Treatment is fairly different.

I've compiled a list of treatments that seem to work well for me.  Keep in mind that some of these may work for you, and they may not.  You'll just have to experiment with them.  Please post any treatment methods that worked for you in the comments section!


  • Ice: I ice the top of my foot 2-3 times per day for about 20 minutes with my foot elevated on a pillow.  This feels amazing, and it keeps the inflamation and swelling down in my foot.
  • Compression:  I wrap my foot with an elastic bandage to provide some added support as my foot expands as it touches the ground with each step.  This also provides a little extra cushion for my forefoot, which also seems to help.
  • Wear Running Shoes:  I've been wearing an old pair of neutral running shoes, in conjunction with the wrap, for walking around in.  The support and cushion seems to really help alleviate the pain.  Another helpful tip is to tie the laces more loosely than usual.  Tying them too tightly will add pressure to the inflamed tendons.
  • Forefoot Padding:  I added two pieces of medical gauze under the sole of my running shoes beneath my forefoot to help cushion the impact.  This actually seems to help a great deal.
  • Stretching:  I've found stretching my calves, ankles, and pretty much anything below my knee to be very helpful.  Here are a couple stretches that I do:
    • While standing, place the tip of your toe on the ground without supporting any of your body weight.  Gently roll your ankle in circles, both clockwise and counterclockwise, while keeping your toe in the same place.  This seems to really help relax the tendons in the top of the foot
    • Classic calf stretches.  I like to place my feet shoulder width apart and do a gentle half squat while relaxing my lower legs.  You may need to support yourself by placing your hands on a wall or piece of furniture.
  • Massage:  I start with extremely gentle pressure on the top of my foot in the areas that hurt.  Gradually I can increase the pressure as my foot begins to loosen up.  The pain on top of my foot decreases dramatically as I massage the area.  It just takes a little time.  After about 10 minutes I can massage my foot with almost as much pressure as I would without any injury.
  • Toe Raises:  While sitting in a chair I lean back to take the majority of weight off my feet.  Begin with your feet flat on the floor and gently raise your toes up off the ground while keeping your heels in place.  You'll feel your extensor muscles (around your shin) contract.  This will help to strengthen the muscles and tendons causing the pain.  This may not be a good idea early on in treatment, but if you can do it without causing any pain it will probably be okay.
  • Running:  I know this one sounds crazy, but about every 2-3 days I go on a very light 1-2 mile jog (I've done two 1-2 mile runs since my appointment).  I run at a pace about 2 minutes per mile slower than my usual pace, and I wrap my foot like I mentioned above.  This actually doesn't cause much pain when I have my foot wrapped, the gauze in place, and, of course, when wearing my running shoes.  I don't recommend this if it causes pain so severe that it alters your running stride (also what my podiatrist said).  I really think that this plays a role in encouraging your body to repair the injured area.  It also seems to loosen up the tendons and muscles in my legs and feet.  Keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and you should ask one if you should run while you're injured.
  • Rest:  Before seeing a podiatrist I took a full week off from running.  I did one 2-mile test run in shoes that really hurt, which prompted me to make the appointment.  I had an additional 4 days off from running before I actually met with the doctor, so I had an almost 2 week rest period with one short, slow run in the middle.  After meeting with the podiatrist and confirming that I didn't have a stress fracture I've tried to stay off my feet a bit more, but I still walk the dog and baby and go about my normal life.  Everything I've read says to rest, rest, REST, but I'm not convinced that laying in bed for 2 more weeks would make much difference in my recovery.  On top of that it's boring!

That about sums up my treatment plan for extensor tendonitis.  I don't know that I could pick any specific treatments that help more than the others.  For me, it seems to be the combination of all of the above that is driving my recovery.  As of now, I only have pain between my 2nd and 3rd toes so I think that I'm well on my way to being able to train for the marathon in October.  My podiatrist did say to expect a 2-4 week recovery time for the tendonitis (Today is 3 days after our meeting).  If there is not significant improvement after 4 weeks, or if at any point it starts to get worse, I should get an MRI to definitively rule out stress fractures.  I hope this helps someone!

Happy Running!

22 comments:

  1. Massaging every sore or stressed muscle when it is close to recovery helps your muscles to relax which aids in a faster recovery from injury. It's my favorite type of muscle injury treatment. It also helps to ease some of the pain that your muscles feel after an intensive workout.

    Sienna Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Sienna! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really true Sienna! I also love that feeling when a muscle sore or cramp is almost gone and you get it massaged. It's so comforting, I feel like it speeds up the recovery even more!

    Kristal Byrnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. Currently have this problem less than 2 weeks out from Boston marathon. Rest is hardly an option, although tapering now and ice/NSAIDS are certainly helping. Was unaware that tight calves was a potential cause and will stretch religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading Anonymous! I hope you saw the link to my Final Injury Update post. I recapped the treatment methods post recovery and modified them a bit too. I hope you are able to recover for Boston. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to sound a little crazy, but I'm posting it in case it helps anyone else: I am a beginning runner but have suffered from the same type of extensor tendonitis for years. (My leg often has a giant lump when it acts up - not pretty) Ice and massage have helped a little. The best thing I've found: wearing those ridiculous-looking Skechers Shape-Up shoes when I walk. They stretch me out & help prevent me from rolling along the outside edges of my feet. Warning: They look really weird with dress pants at the office. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an older post of yours, but I found this in my obsessive search to understand my top of foot pain. Did you have pain when walking or running-I don't. Just feels like a bruise when I touch the top of my foot. Were you put in a boot at all? That's where I am right now and not loving it :( Thanks for an informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janelle! I hardly had any pain when walking, and I embraced it. I regularly took the dog for long, brisk walks during my recovery, and once I didn't feel any pain with a pack on I started hiking with my infant son in the backpack. I probably covered 12-20 miles per week walking/hiking while I couldn't run.

    I was never put in a boot/air-cast. From what I understand in talking with the sports podiatrist I saw, that is a treatment method for a stress-fracture, and not necessarily an inflammation of tendons. I've heard that the casts/braces made for plantar fasciitis can help to relieve the pressure on the extensor tendons, but I never actually wore one in my recovery.

    In my opinion, and keep in mind I'm not a doctor or podiatrist, just a runner, I try to stay out of anything completely immobilizing unless absolutely necessary. If I can't run, then I'll walk. If I can't walk, then I'll ride a bike. If I can't ride a bike, I'll find something I can do. Unless it's something that won't physically heal without being immobilized, I have faith in my body to repair itself as long as I'm not constantly aggravating the injury.

    All of that being said, if a doctor told you to wear the 'boot' then you should probably wear the boot, but don't be afraid to get a second opinion from another doctor, or maybe one that specializes in running or athletic injuries.

    I hope some of that helps, and good luck in your recovery Janelle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you doing now? I will have to agree with Anonymous. I was diagnosed with tendonitis 2 years ago and the reason for that? I wore shape ups shoes. I am not a pro runner but I run min of 2KMS per day. I went through different lab and xray tests, took different pain killers, seen by different doctors, and all... My tendonitis was completely healed after my stem cell therapy with ortho surgeon, Dr Grossman of Stem MD. He also recommended some exercises and stretching. As of today, I never had any problems with my tendons again and I'm hoping that the effect of stem cell would last longer. :) I wish you well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had this problem for about 3 months now and it flared up again after walking a bit. I have pain when walking (it's been about a week since the flare up) and am wondering how long it took you to get back to strengthening exercises. I am wondering how long to wait before I start rehabbing it. The last time I waited for a month and was so tight I only hurt it more, unknowingly. I am doing the calf stretches religiously though. Also is biking an issue for this tendon? Have you used a brace at all? My ortho recommended the McDavid lace up ankle brace to help it heal while still being able to walk. Hope to heal this completely and not have another flare up!! Best of luck to you! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Adrienne! I would have to agree with Paul, and I would stick with light stretching at first to keep your mobility. In my experience, it seems that light activity, that doesn't cause any pain, helps to promote healing in your muscles and tendons. Do your best to try and listen to your body and let that guide how much you try to do. I've read that tendon damage can take up to 6 months or more to completely heal, so prepare yourself for a long road to recovery. That doesn't mean you can't do anything for 6 months, but it may be 6-9 months before you're back to 100%.

      I didn't wear any types of braces, and I don't really see how an ankle brace could help with extensor tendonitis. I did switch to an old pair of running shoes for walking around in, and I also placed a couple pieces of medical gauze under the insole of my shoe beneath my forefoot. This extra cushioning seemed to help reduce the impact of walking a bit, but be sure that your shoe doesn't fit too tightly as a result because the added pressure on top of your foot could aggravate the injury. I read that braces for plantar fasciitis have helped some people; however, I have never used one.

      Good luck in your recovery Adrienne!

      Delete
  11. Kirsten,

    Did your shape up shoes cause the tendonitis or help it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. Great post, thanks.

    I'm two weeks and two days into this injury -- very frustrating. My sports doc did put me into an Air Cast, which I used for three days until I couldn't stand it anymore. The x-ray came back negative for a stress fracture; the reason he put me in the Air Cast was because of how much difficulty I was having walking. That's gotten better, but far from perfect.

    I fear I have tendinosis (damage to tendon) instead of tendinisis (inflamed tendons). The main difference, as I understand it, is the recovery time. Also, ice is useless, because tendinosis is not about inflammation but rather damaged tissue that needs to be regrown. Ouch!

    But maybe I'm wrong. The self-massage makes a huge difference. I've been able to run and swim without much difficulty. For that I'm thankful, and assuming I recover, I think I can come back even faster!

    It's just such a kick in the runner's ego. A few weeks ago, I was running Boston, where I BQ'd again, and then this ... wow. Very frustrating and concerning. I feel like an old man, hobbling around.

    Anyway ... thanks for the great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is worse for a runner than not being able to run! From what I understand, you're exactly right about ice not helping inflammation in the tendon. The ice seemed to be a little bit more for my own comfort, rather than to reduce inflammation. For whatever reason I was able to pinpoint the injured section of the tendon much better massaging with an ice cube, as opposed to massaging without.

      Congratulations on qualifying for Boston! That's a great feat to accomplish for any runner. Be careful about doing too much too soon Steve, and try to listen to your body, not your runner's ego! :-) I think I delayed my recovery time quite a bit by trying to convince myself that I was okay to run when I was clearly still injured.

      Happy Running!

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much! This was really encouraging. I though I had stress fractures for a while, and although I haven't had xrays, it seems that extensor tendonitis is the problem. I've had bouts of achilles tendonitis too...starting minimalist shoes too much too fast...grrrr... I've had on-going ankle/calf/foot issues since JULY! Finally resting from running and trying to stretch, ice, massage etc. It's always just achy and annoying. Going CRAZY not running, will probably try to do short runs in the coming weeks. I'm feeling encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can run after fixation as you explained. As with any running program, however, I recommend that you progress slowly to running (or back to running). Listen to your body and allow sufficient time to get running the way you hope.
    metatarsal stress fracture

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. But thank you for the suggestions as well. Indeed, it might have shocked your feet after converting into barefoot running so quickly. Running shoes give the right amount of protection and stability to your feet and tendons to avoid you twisting or overworking them too much. And so transitioning into barefoot running too soon have caused your injury because your feet muscles haven't really gotten used to that kind of strenuous activity. Get well soon!

    Mika Clary

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are past a year in. how are you now? How long was TOTAL recovery time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This type of shoe will help to support your ankle and will allow for the proper amount of toe movement. An open toe shoe also helps you to get more support for your knees and ankles. Source to know more about kickboxing shoes review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Proper nursing shoes will give you lots of support and balance while also minimizing strain throughout your entire body. It provides a wide area for excellent support to toes and elbows as well as the front part of the foot. Discover here for more information about best nursing shoes.

    ReplyDelete