Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Journey Through the Wilderness

I had a great time rowing and running last week.  I opted for rowing on the machine two days because my wife had to go into work early, and I couldn't convince myself to get up and run while it was still dark outside.  I have enough 'close calls' with cars, tuk-tuks, stray dogs, and motorcycles running in the daylight, that I imagine it's terrifying running here when the sun goes down.

I got an awesome surprise when a friend from the consulate offered to show me around some of the trails near his house.  He took me on a network of trails that lead us past several temples, through some livestock grazing areas, and around a 'lake'.  I say 'lake' because in other parts of the world it may be called sewage dump, trash-mud slurry, rotten mosquito breading ground, or any other name you can think of that conjures images of the grossest 'lake' you can think of.  Throughout the run I found myself hyper-aware of the things around me, just waiting to see a flash of movement or hear a rustling in the leaves and be greeted by a giant Indian Cobra.  I don't know what the hell I'll do if I ever run into one here.  Luckily all we saw were some peacocks and buffalo on our little journey through the wilderness.  We finished the run with a Tuk-Tuk ride to the bottom of the hill near his house, and ran the last kilometer or so home.

I felt great last week, although I'm still nowhere near the mileage I was putting up in the States.  It was really nice to run somewhere other than the usual park trail where I log most of my time.  One of the best parts about running out on the trails, was that there was hardly anyone else around.  It doesn't normally bother me too much that I'm this crazy oddity running down the street here, and many people literally stop their cars to watch me pass, but a break from the spotlight and being able to just run felt good.  I'd love to find more areas of open trail close by, but I think the 'close' part is going to be difficult.  I'll keep running and, hopefully, I'll manage to find some hidden gems in Hyderabad.

Training Summary for Last Week:

Monday:       Rowing 3.0 km; 14:17; avg. pace 4:46/km
Tuesday:       Rowing 4.0 km; 19:15; avg. pace 4:49/km
Wednesday:  6.29 km; 34:18; avg. pace 5:27/km
Thursday:      Off
Friday:          6.31 km; 35:12; avg. pace 5:35/km
Saturday:      7.78 km; 43:23; avg. pace 5:35/km
Sunday:        Off

Total Kilometers: 20.38 km
Total Time:          1:52:53
Average Pace:     5:32/km

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment